I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway for review, needless to say, it was amazing! And even luckier am I that I got to interview Kelly; here are my questions and her answers:
1. What aspect of Touch of Death did you come up with first?
It all started with a lesser-known myth about Medusa and the 13th sign of the zodiac. Jodi's character developed from there, and the story almost wrote itself.
2. Was the whole story line planned out from the beginning, or did you come up with it as you were writing it?
I had 24 pages of planning before I started drafting, but once I began writing, I really didn't use my planning. My characters took the wheel, and I just went along for the ride.
3. Has anything that you have written ever surprised you?
Yes, the climax in Touch of Death was really unexpected. I literally stopped typing and said, "Wow, I didn't see that coming!" I love when that happens.
4. What are your favourite kinds of scenes to write?
It's a tie between intense/kind of creepy action scenes and swoon-worthy kiss scenes.
5. Is there any specific place you need to be or thing you need to do before you write?
No, I can write just about anywhere. (Sometimes even in the shower!)
6. Who was your favourite character to write in Touch of Death?
Jodi, but Alex was a close second. I got to know them both so well, I felt like they were real people.
7. Who/what inspired you to write that character the way that you did?
Jodi sort of came to me on her own, although she and I do share a lot of traits. We're both very accident-prone, have the same birthday, and love our tea and showers scalding hot.
8. What characteristics do you feel are most important to clearly define in your characters?
They have to be real, and to me that means they need to be flawed. No one is perfect, and flaws give everyone character.
9. Are there any aspects of the story line or the character(s) that you would change if you re-wrote Touch of Death?
Not really. My editor, Trisha Wooldridge, had some great suggestions to make the story better, and I'm so happy with the way it turned out.
10. What can be expected from the sequel (Stalked by Death)?
I don't want to give any spoilers, but I'll just say Jodi hasn't seen anything yet. Things are about to get crazy.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, and congratulations on Touch of Death :)
Thank you so much for having me!
LOVE ALL, Swoon Romance, January 2013
STALKED BY DEATH, Spencer Hill Press, July 23, 2013
THE MONSTER WITHIN, Spencer Hill Press, April 2014
THE DARKNESS WITHIN, Spencer Hill Press, TBA
INTO THE FIRE, Month9Books, Spring 2014
CURSE OF THE GRANVILLE FORTUNE, Month9Books, 2016