Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

ANGUS, THONGS AND THE FULL- FRONTAL SNOGGING by Louise Rennison

864759Book one in the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Publication date: June 24th, 1999
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Number of pages: 160
Date read: September 14th, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Humour, Chic Lit, Romance, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Description source: Goodreads)

There are six things very wrong with my life:

1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.

2. It is on my nose

3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.

4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberfuhrer Frau Simpson and her bunch of sadistic teachers.

5. I am very ugly and need to go into an ugly home.

6. I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



“Look, I can't go out with you, because...because...because I'm a lesbian.”


Angus, Thongs and the full-frontal snogging was a novel that I recall my friends many years ago raving about and trying to get me to read. Having finally caught up I can say that I regret not reading them back when I was in my early teens because the humour and style mimicks that of a 14 year old girl perfectly!

We are drawn into the life of Georgia Nicolson through her diary and get to experience everything that happens along with her. Her crazy family and friends that all drive her wild at times as well as the highs and lows of both boys and dating. Along with her wicked sense of humour that often kept me laughing for pages on end she looks at everything exactly the way that most 14 year old girls do.

When sex-god Robbie arrives the comedy really sets in with her small comments and snide remarks about things that drive her bonkers. Georgia eventually decides that Robbie will be hers soon and devises a fool-proof plan that will certainly land her Robbie. But family and friends can really get in the way sometimes.

Overall I enjoyed Angus, Thongs and the full-frontal snogging a lot and found it to be quite funny, it certainly had its moments though. I can see how easily other girls in their early teen would find this novel to relate to and the messages and lessons that Georgia learns throughout it can be very valuable indeed.

To me Georgia was an irritating character, being not only vain and incredulously self-centred but also demanding, high maintenance and hormonal. By the time I was nearing the end I had gotten used to her character and interestingly enough she didn't irritate me to the degree that she had at the beginning.

The plot was not as predictable as I had initially thought and I enjoyed that it took those different turns along the way, so that I could not be entirely sure as to where Georgia would end up in life. It was well paced until about halfway through when it really slowed down until it was almost the end, but lifted its game a but then.
I am looking forward to continuing the series and seeing what else Georgia gets involved in and how much trouble she creates.



“Unbelievable! I said, "What would I be doing walking the streets at night as a stuffed olive- gate-crashing cocktail parties?”



I rate Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Three out of Five!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment