Pages

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Rebecca Lim Interview!

I was very lucky to have the lovely author Rebecca Lim answer some questions for us about her Mercy Series, as well as on writing. I am so grateful to her. First, here is a description of Book One in Rebecca's Mercy Series:
Mercy by Rebecca Lim


Mercy ‘wakes’ on a school bus bound for Paradise, a small town where everyone knows everyone else’s business – or thinks they do. But they will never guess the secret Mercy is hiding . . .

As an angel exiled from heaven and doomed to return repeatedly to earth, Mercy is never sure whose life and body she will share each time. And her mind is filled with the desperate pleas of her beloved, Luc, who can only approach her in her dreams.

In Paradise, Mercy meets Ryan, whose sister was kidnapped two years ago and is now presumed dead. When another girl disappears, Mercy and Ryan know they must act before time runs out.

But a host of angels are out for Mercy’s blood and they won’t rest until they find her and punish her – for a crime she doesn’t remember committing . . .


Q&A from Rebecca Lim, author of the Mercy series

Q. How do you feel now that the Mercy series has been completely published?

Relieved! Mentally a bit fried, and a little melancholy. It sounds weird, but I feel like I know Mercy and Ryan and the others, and having to let go of them has been harder than I imagined it would be. But the series panned out and ended the way I wanted it to from the beginning, and I’m happy with it. I hope I did her story justice, and that it was an interesting and unpredictable read.

I always meant for Mercy to be an introduction to her situation, for Exile to bring in the beings who put Mercy in the situation she found herself in, Muse to explore why she fell and for Fury to be about Ryan and Mercy trying to carve out space and time for themselves when everything and everyone begins closing in on them. Hopefully I succeeded.


Q. Will you ever write more on any of the characters in the Mercy series, any possibility of a spin off novel, or a short story? Maybe in Ryan's point of view ;)

If anyone wants to read what I have planned for Gia and Uriel one day, then maybe? Those two characters, in particular, had a habit of taking charge of me and insisting on more air time. Ryan and Mercy would definitely crop up in that story, but I’m not sure yet how interested people might be to read that, and I need time to let Mercy and Ryan’s story just be first.




Q. Is there any routine you have to stick to, or place you have to go to write?

For the most part, I write in a tiny, cramped corner of my kitchen and nobody at my place ever leaves me alone. I have to write in the gaps that my family allows me. I’ve written parts of the series in my car, in cafés, at 4 am in the morning, whenever I can snatch some peace and quiet. I’d love a routine! But, right now, I don’t get one ;)


Q. A question I am dying to know the answer to, when was the moment that Ryan first fell for Mercy? Did he realize it at the time?

I think I had him feeling he was in trouble around the time he shows up at Paradise High searching for Mercy/Carmen to tell her the news that someone else has been snatched. Ryan probably couldn’t have articulated why he headed back to a place he’s been avoiding like the plague specifically to find Mercy/Carmen, but something just made him drop everything to look for her. I actually find writing romance quite hard – you don’t want to teeter over the line between classy and corny, right? – so I never actually have him admitting much for the first three books because what guy usually does declare anything unless pushed?!



Q. Are you working on anything new now? If you are, can you maybe give us a short description or a teaser?

I’m waiting for the green light for a new series that’s a little bit sci-fi, a little bit paranormal. Cross your fingers for me!

Thanks again Sam for reading and supporting the series, and to all readers who have read the books with an open mind and open heart. The series is kind of a love song to the possibilities of love. It’s a huge privilege to have been able to share Mercy’s story with you.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Thank you so much to Rebecca for answering my questions, all the best wishes to you and good luck in your writing!! I can't wait to read whatever you write next :)


 



If you haven't read Rebecca's Mercy Series, I highly recommend you do! They are, each book, incredible and keep you guessing. I couldn't put them down and you won't be able to either!
You can check out my review of Mercy here


No comments:

Post a Comment